Saturday, November 29, 2008

WHAT A DISASTER!

We hope that everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. We had a great Thanksgiving and as always we all ate too much and we were all ready to go to bed at 8:00. Last night (Thanksgiving night) we went to visit Troy's parents and wish them a Happy Thanksgiving and take them some pie and some "Pretzel Jello" (which is Claudia's favorite) and we were gone for about an hour or maybe an 1 1/2 hours. Can't remember. But anyway, when we came home we heard a shower of water in the basement. Cameron ran downstairs and there was a huge leak of water (about 4 feet long) just gushing from our the basement ceiling. The only thing it could have been from was the dishwasher. We had just put a load in before we left for the in-laws. The basement floor was flooded, the ping pong table was starting to warp, the couch was soaked and the ceiling looked close to falling down. Actually it did fall down during the night. So, we had disaster clean up come over this morning and do what they could. We have fans running downstairs to help to prevent mold and our insurance adjuster won't be able to come until Monday. So, we had quite an evening. I am including a few pictures of our cute little "disaster" of the basement. (It could have been worse if we had stayed away longer. (Why do these things always happen when nobody's home?) But since it is Thanksgiving, I know that we need to be grateful that it wasn't worse. We really do have a lot to be thankful for. The timing for this isn't the greatest but at least we are all healthy and doing well.

2 comments:

jendingus said...

Yuck! That doesn't look fun at all. I am sorry you have to deal with such a mess. I hate home disasters. I hope you can get it back together soon.

sugarbritches said...

Oh I have been there more times than I can count...ok 5 times, I can count. I decided flooding is why I can such a fear of great amounts of water. In my old house the neighbors tree grew tree roots in our pipes and it would flood once a year in the basement massively. You might say, idiot, if you knew why did you let it happen. Well because they told us at the time, that we needed a camera to determine where the crack in the pipe was and it would cost $3,000. We no more had $3,000 than we had $300. We hoped that it wouldn't happen again, but it did. When we did fix it the camera actually only cost us $250. Lying jerks. In this house we had pipe break and flood the basement. Last year the basement toilet broke but no one knew for an entire day because no one went downstairs. Just when we got the carpet ripped out etc., I left the water running slightly while I unfroze a can of juice. I didn't realize there was a small clear custard glass blocking the drain... so i'm on the computer downstairs when it starts to rain. I run upstairs and half my upstairs is covered with an inch of water. all hardwood...all warped. fun fun fun. i hate flooding so so so much. thank goodness for homeowners insurance!